The Warning We Already Gave: Puerto Rico’s Water Crisis Is Guyana’s Preview—El Niño
The Warning We Already Gave: Puerto Rico’s Water Crisis Is Guyana’s Preview—El Niño
OPINION— The Board
More than 180,000 customers across San Juan and its surrounding municipalities went without water this week — 48 hours at a time, on a rolling schedule — as Puerto Rico’s driest July in over 120 years collided with a strengthening El Niño. Governor Jenniffer González told residents Tuesday that “this situation is out of our hands,” attributing the crisis to weather conditions beyond government control.
“Nothing prevents this from worsening,” she said.
It is a familiar sentence. It is also, this newsroom argued in real time as the drought first took hold, an evasion.
A government does not lose control of a drought the day the reservoirs run low. It loses control months earlier, in the silence between the first forecast and the first policy response — and that silence is a choice, not a weather pattern.
We raised this warning for Guyana nearly two months ago. Puerto Rico is now showing us what happens when the warning goes unheeded.
WHAT THE RECORD SHOWS
Puerto Rico’s crisis did not arrive without notice. Meteorologists had been tracking a strengthening El Niño and below-average rainfall for weeks before the rationing order. National Weather Service meteorologist María Novoa García said this week that El Niño “continues to get stronger,” with rainfall over the next two to three weeks projected at least 50 percent below average. Nearly a quarter of the territory is already in severe drought.
Guyana’s own Hydrometeorological Service issued a comparable warning on August 4 — a Seasonal Outlook projecting up to 80 hot-spell days this year, nearly triple the historical average of 30, as El Niño conditions strengthen through at least October. Hydromet named Regions Four, Five, Six, Eight and Ten as bearing the brunt, and was explicit that the strain would extend beyond farms: reduced water availability for households, agriculture, and broader economic activity. This followed an earlier outlook in May flagging declining water levels in rivers, reservoirs and conservancies, and rising wildfire risk.
Both agencies did their job. Both gave their governments a lead time measured in months, not days. What differs is what happened next.
THE SILENCE WHERE A RESPONSE SHOULD BE
In Puerto Rico, the mechanisms exist on paper — hospital protocols, priority water-truck routing for the elderly, an association of health administrators publicly reassuring the public this week that “we do not improvise.”
The apparatus of response is visible, even if it arrived only once rationing became unavoidable.
In Guyana, as of this week, we can find no comparable public mobilization from the two agencies whose statutory job this is. Guyana Water Inc.’s public communications remain occupied with routine connection guides and tariff schedules — nothing addressing conservation measures, contingency planning, or public guidance in light of Hydromet’s own warning.
The Ministry of Agriculture’s press output this week features rice-farmer relief grants, cassava yield milestones and coconut-industry progress — not a single conservation advisory to the farmers Hydromet explicitly flagged as most exposed.
This is not a new muscle the Ministry lacks: in a comparable 2018 dry-spell advisory, the Ministry’s own release carried the Chief Hydrometeorological Officer directly urging farmers to conserve water. That instinct is absent from this year’s response, even though this year’s forecast is more severe.
Instead, the government’s public-facing energy this month has gone into the Model Village Initiative — a multi-region consultation roadshow this news media has already documented as long on renders and photo opportunities, short on delivery timelines or funding disclosure.
THE PATTERN, NAMED
We have covered this administration’s habit before: announce a directive, generate a headline, and let enforcement lapse into silence — a pattern this outlet has termed “bite with no teeth” in the context of unenforced policy commitments elsewhere. The dry-spell response fits the same shape, with one difference: this time the failure is not in enforcing a stated policy, but in stating one at all. There is no order to fall short of, because no order has been given.
Puerto Rico’s governor is not being praised in this piece — blaming the weather while a crisis was building for months is exactly the failure of foresight we are naming. The point of contrast is narrower and more damning for Guyana: San Juan’s government at least activated response protocols once the crisis was undeniable. Guyana has had the forecast since May, an intensified version of it since August 4, and — as of this writing — no visible activation of anything at all.
The dry season Hydromet warned of runs through at least October. The lead time has not expired. Neither has the silence.
The 592 Guardian will continue tracking GWI, the Ministry of Agriculture, and NDIA public communications for any conservation response as the dry season intensifies.

Discover more from 592guardian.com
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.





Leave a Reply
Want to join the discussion?Feel free to contribute!